Scales of War
The custodian of the Hall of Valour, where Brindol keeps its relics of the victory over the Red Hand. He is a veteran of the war, sporting a collection of scars and a hatred of the folk who were part of the Hand. He was a resident of Drellin’s Ferry, barely surviving the massacre there.
Sertanian fought alongside Mire’s father at Drellin’s Ferry, and in memory of his comrade tries to be as much a father as he can to the young man.
Sertanian was injured at the Drellin’s Ferry, left for dead as the Red Hand’s line advanced. The acolytes of the Even-Handed were tasked with slitting the throats of the wounded, and the one that came – knife in hand – upon Sertanian was Rock. But the young acolyte’s hand faltered at the last. He couldn’t bring himself to kill the helpless Sertanian, and that act of mercy changed the direction of his life. After the war, Sertanian took Rock in, and brought the young man up at the Hall of Valour, among the artefacts and tokens of his side’s defeat.
Sertanian has been freed from the clushes of the Hand. He has given the party a description of the treasures the Hand stole from the Hall of Valour:
- Ornate, gilded dragoncrest helm.
- Ceremonial platinum longsword; too heavy and blunt to be useful as a weapon.
- Set of three shields with the Red Hand insignia, each with a charred hole near the center.
- Set of iron gauntlets with extensive filigree.
- Heraldic battle standard depicting two hands clasped in a handshake.
He also knows that Mirtala the cook is being held downstairs in a chamber near a spiral staircase with frescos on the walls.